Monday, January 10, 2011

Spanged Over Mums Knee

"The Purloined Letter" by Edgar Allan Poe



The Purloined Letter
(Translated by Julio Cortazar)
I was in Paris in the fall of 18 ... One night after a windy afternoon, enjoyed the double pleasure of meditation and a meerschaum, in company with my friend C. Auguste Dupin, in his small library or cabinet studies n ° 33, rue Dunot, au troisième, Faubourg Saint-Germain . We had over an hour of profound silence, and any casual observer
r we have believed and deeply devoted exclusively to study the wavy layers of smoke that filled the atmosphere of the room. For my part, I would have given a mental discussion of certain topics on which we conducted an early in the evening, I mean the case in the Rue Morgue and the mystery of the murder of Marie Roget. Do not let to think, then, in a match, when I opened the door to make way for our old friend G. .., the perfect Parisian police.

We received cordially, since the man had both despicable as much fun, and we had several years without seeing it. As we had been in the dark, Dupin rose to light the lamp, but returned to his seat without it when G. .. let us know who came to consult us, or, rather, to seek the views of my friend about some official business which worried him greatly.

- If it's something that requires reflection, "observed Dupin, refraining from giving fire to the wick-be better consideration in the dark.

- Here's one of his strange ideas, "said the prefect, to whom everything that was beyond their understanding was" strange ", so it was surrounded by a legion of" oddities. "

- Very true, "said Dupin, handing a pipe to offering our visitors a comfortable seat.

- And what is the difficulty? I asked. Hopefully not another murder.

- Oh no, nothing like that! It is certainly a very simple and do not doubt that we solve our own just fine, and anyway I thought Dupin would like to know details, since it is a case very rare .

- Simple and odd, "said Dupin.

- precisely but it is not entirely that. In fact, we're all pretty confused, because the thing is simple, but perplexing.

- Perhaps what is misleading is precisely the simplicity of it, "observed my friend.

- What you say nonsense! "Replied the Prefect, laughing heartily.

- Perhaps the mystery is a little too simple, "said Dupin.

- Oh, my God! What can happen is that idea?

- a little too evident.

- Ja, ja! Oh, oh! "Laughed the mayor, fun till you drop. Dupin, you will eventually make me die of laughter.

- Let's see what's it about? I asked.

- Well, I'll tell you, "said the Prefect, deeply inhaling a puff of smoke and settled in the chair. I can explain in few words, but first I must warn you that the matter requires the utmost secrecy, as if it were known that I confided to others may cost me my current position.

- Speak, "I said.

- or not talk, "said Dupin.

- Okay. I have been told personally by someone who occupies a high position, that a certain document of great importance has been stolen in the royal chambers. Know who is the person who stole it, because it was seen when he was seized. It is also known that the document continues in his possession.

- How do you know that? "Asked Dupin.

- It is clear, "replied the Prefect of the nature of the document and that were not produced certain consequences that would take place immediately after that to other hands, in other words, if it was used in the manner in which the thief has to pretend to do so in the end.

- Be a little more explicit, "I said.

- Well, I can say that the paper gives its holder a certain power in a place where such power is immensely valuable.

Perfect was delighted with his diplomatic jargon.

- Well I do not understand anything, "said Dupin.

- No? Let's see: The presentation of the document to a third party who will not name would put on the table the honor of a personage of the highest levels and this document gives the holder of a domain on the illustrious personage whose honor and peace are threatened thereby .

- But it's domain - depends interrupted the thief that the character known as such. And who would dare ...?

- The thief, "said G. ..- D. \u200b\u200b.. is the minister who dares to so much as worthy as that is unworthy of a man. The way they committed the robbery is ingenious and audacious. The document in question-a letter, to be frank, was received by the person was robbed while alone in the boudoir real. As I read, was suddenly interrupted by the entrance of another eminent person, which wanted to hide especially the first letter. After a hurried and vain endeavor to hide in a drawer, must leave her open as it was, on a table. As the envelope had been up and could not see the content, the letter could pass unnoticed. But at that moment, the Minister D. .. His lynx eye immediately perceives the paper, recognizes the handwriting of the address, observes the confusion of the person and guess his secret. After discussing some issues in an expeditious manner that is usual, extracted a letter like the one in question, opens it, pretends to read it and put it right next to each other. Back then departing on public issues for a quarter of an hour. Rose, finally, and at parting, take the card that did not belong the third, which does not move from his side. The minister is leaving, leaving on the table the other letter of no importance.

- Well, "said Dupin, turning to me, there you have what was required for the domain of the thief was complete: he knows that the person knows stolen as the thief.

- In fact, "said the Prefect, and the power thus obtained has been used in recent months for political purposes, to a very dangerous point. The person robbed is increasingly convinced of the need to regain his card. But, of course, a thing can not be done openly. Finally, dragged down by despair, that person has asked me for the task.

- By which, "said Dupin, wrapped in a perfect whirlwind of smoke could not have desired, or even imagined, more sagacious agent.

- You flatter me, "replied the Prefect, but it is not impossible that, in fact, may have my opinion.

- How do you notice I said, it is clear that the letter is in possession of the minister, for what gives it its power is not the possession and use. Just used the card, its power would cease.

- Very true, "agreed G. ..-. My inquiries are based on that conviction. The first I did was to carefully record the mansion of the minister, although the greatest difficulty was to avoid were to know. It has prevented me, above all, I must prevent suspected our intentions, which would be very dangerous.

- But you have all the facilities for such research, "I said. It is not the first time that the Parisian police practice.

- Oh, of course! So do not worry too much. The habits of the minister gave me also a great advantage. Often spend the night outside their home. The servants are not many and sleeping quarters away from his master, as almost all are from Naples, it's easy induce them to drink heavily. Well you know that I have keys with which I can open any room in Paris. During these three months, no past or a night without getting personally involved in searching the house of D. .. My honor is at stake and to entrust a great secrecy, the promised reward is huge. So do not stop looking until we have complete assurance that the thief is smarter than me. I'm sure I looked at every possible corner of the house where the letter could have been hidden.

- Would not it be possible, "asked," that although the letter is in the position of minister, as it seems unquestionable. it may have concealed elsewhere than at home?

- Very likely, "said Dupin. The special twist of current issues of the court, and especially the intrigues in which is wrapped D. .., require that the document is in hand and can be displayed at any time the latter is as important as the fact same in their possession.

- The document to be produced? I asked.

- If you prefer, you can be destroyed, "said Dupin.

- Well, "I agreed," the paper is then to be in the house. I guess we can rule out any idea of \u200b\u200bthe minister being worn.

- Of course "Said the Prefect. I sent twice for false arrest highwaymen and I have personally seen it recorded.

- Could you save yourself the trouble, "said Dupin. D. .. I guess is not completely crazy and had to provide these false attacks as a logical consequence.

- It's not completely crazy, "said G. ..-, but is a poet, which in my opinion becomes more or less the same.

- True, "said Dupin, after picking up a deep puff on his pipe meerschaum," although, for my part, I plead guilty of certain doggerel.

- Why not give us details your requisition? I asked.

- Well, as have the time necessary, seek elsewhere. I have a long experience in these cases. Fully checked the house, four by four, spending nights a week to each room. First examined the furniture. We opened all the drawers, I guess you do not ignore that for a well-trained police officer, there is no secret drawer to escape him. In a search of this kind, the man who left without seeing a secret drawer is a jerk. They are so obvious! In each piece there is a certain mass, a space that should be explained. For that we have very precise rules. We are not escaparía ni la quincuagésima parte de una linea.

»Terminada la inspección de armarios pasamos a las sillas. Atravesamos los almohadones con esas largas y finas agujas que me han visto usted emplear Levantamos las tablas de las mesas.»

― ¿Porqué?

― Con frecuencia, la persona que desea esconder algo levanta la tapa de una mesa o de un mueble similar, hace un orificio en cada una de las patas, esconde el objeto en cuestión y vuelve a poner la tabla en su sitio. Lo mismo suele hacerse en las cabeceras y postes de la cama.

― Pero, ¿no puede localizarse la cavidad por el sonido? ―pregunté.

― De ninguna manera si, the deposit of the object, the surrounding area with a layer of cotton. Moreover, in this case we were forced to proceed without noise.

- But it is impossible that you have reviewed and disarmed all the furniture where the letter could be hidden in the way mentioned. A card can be reduced to a very thin roll, about equal in volume to a long needle weaving, and thus may be inserted, for example, in the rung of a chair. I guess not disarmed all the chairs?

- Of course not, but we did better: We examined the cross of all the chairs of the house and all the furniture joints using a powerful microscope. If there had been the slightest sign of a recent change, not realizing it would have stopped instantly. A single grain of dust produced by a hole we had jumped into my eyes as if it were an apple. The smaller difference in the sizing, the smallest opening in the assembly, would have sufficed to guide us.

- I guess I looked in the mirrors, between the frames and glass, and examined the beds and bedding and curtains and carpets.

- of course, and then we had reviewed all the furniture in the same meticulous way we went into the house itself. We divide the surface into compartments which we numbered, so we were not escaped either, then scrutinize every square inch, including the two adjacent houses, always aided by the microscope.

- Two adjacent? "I cried. Have had all sorts of difficulties!

- Yes. But the reward is huge.

- you They included the land adjacent to the houses?

- The ground is paved with bricks. Did not give us too much work comparatively, as we examined the moss between the bricks and find it intact.

- looked through the papers of D. .. of course, and books from the library?

- course. We open all packages, not just look at each book, but I browsed carefully, not content with the mere shaking, as they do our police officers, also We measured the thickness of each binding, after scrutinizing more detail under the microscope. If he had inserted a role in one of these bindings, it would be impossible to go unnoticed. Five or six volumes out of the hands of the binder were tested longitudinally with needles.

- explored the floors beneath the carpets?

- No doubt. We broke all the carpet and examine the plates under the microscope.

- What about the role of walls?

- Same.

- looked into the cellars?

- look

- Well then, "I said, you made a mistake in their calculations and the letter is not the minister's house.

- I'm afraid you're right, "said the Prefect. Well, Dupin. What do you advise?

- Review of completely new home.

- But it is useless! "Said G. ..-. As sure as I breathe I that the letter is not in the house.

- I have no better advice to give, "said Dupin. I guess you which has a precise description of the letter.

- Oh, yeah!

After removing a book the minister proceeded to read us a thorough description of the inner aspect of the letter, and especially abroad. Shortly after finishing his reading took leave of us, discouraged as I had never seen before.

A month later we made another visit and found us occupied almost the same way as the first time. He took a pipe and a chair and began to talk about trivial things. After a while I said

- Now, G. .., what happened to the purloined letter? I guess, at least, will have convinced that is not easy to excel in cunning minister.

- The devil take him! I revisited the house, as I had advised Dupin, but it was wasted time. I knew it beforehand.

- How much did you say was the reward offered? "Asked Dupin.

- Well ... a lot of money ... lot. I'm not saying exactly how, but yes, said he would be willing to sign a check for fifty thousand francs to anyone who I got that letter. The issue is gaining more importance day by day, and the reward has been lately doubled. But even offered three times that amount, I could not do more than what I've done.

- Well ... true, "said Dupin, dragging the word between puffs of smoke, it seems to me, G. .., that you have not done ... everything that could be done. Do not you think ... could still do something else, eh?

- How? In what sense?

- Well ... poof ... could you ... puff, puff ... Asking for advice on the subject ... puff, puff, puff ... Do you remember the story they tell of Abernethy?

- No. To hell with Abernethy!

- De aceurdo. Al Diablo, but Welcome! Once upon a time a miser who had the idea of \u200b\u200bgetting Free medical advice from Abernethy. Take a meeting and conversation flows to explain a personal case as if it were another person "Suppose the patient's symptoms are such and such," he said. Now, doctor, what do you advise? "" What I would advise, "said Abernethy," is to consult a doctor. "

- Vamos! Cried the prefect, quite puzzled. I am fully willing to take advice and pay for it. Really, would realize thousand francs to anyone to help me in this matter.

- In this case, "replied Dupin, opening a drawer and taking out a checkbook, "well you fill a check for the amount mentioned. When you deliver the letter signed.

I was stunned. As prefect, he seemed thunderstruck. For some minutes he was unable to speak and move, as I watched my friend with eyes that seemed starting from their sockets and his mouth open. Recovered, took a pen and, after several pauses and abstracted contemplation, completed and signed a check for fifty thousand francs, extending over the table to Dupin. The latter examined it carefully and put it in your wallet, then opened a desk, took out a letter and gave it to the prefect. Our staff took a convulsion of joy, opened it with trembling hands, glanced at its contents and then rushing to the door hesitantly, suddenly disappeared from the room and the house, without having uttered a syllable from the time Dupin asked to fill out the check.

Once he was gone, my friend was to give me some explanations.

- The Paris police is extremely useful in its own way, "he said. They are persevering, ingenious, astute and well versed in the knowledge that their duties require. Thus, when G. .. explained his way to record the mansion D. .., I was confident that completed a satisfactory investigation, as far as could be achieved.

- How far could achieve? "I repeated.

- Yes, "said Dupin. The measures adopted were not only the best of its kind, but had been brought to absolute perfection. If the letter had been within the scope of your search, no doubt that police have found it.

I laughed, but Dupin seemed to speak very seriously.

- The measures, "he continued, were excellent in their kind, and were well executed; failing was that they were irrelevant to the case and the man in question. A number of highly ingenious resources are, for the Prefect, a sort of Procrustean bed, in which the force want to stick to his plan. Is continually mistaken for too deep or too shallow for that matter, and over a college would reason better than him. I met one who was eight and whose success in the game of 'even and odd' attracted universal admiration. The game is very simple and is played with marbles. One of the opponents holds in his hand a certain amount of balls and asks the other: "Odd or Even?" If it guesses correctly wins a ball, if he is wrong, he loses one. The boy who spoke won all the marbles school. Naturally, I had a method of divination which consisted of observation and calculation of the astuteness of his opponents. Suppose one of these is a perfect fool and that he raised his fist question: "Odd or Even?". Our college answers "odd" and loses, but wins the second time, by what has been said to himself: "The fool had even upon the first, and cunning beyond odd prepare for the second time. For So say odd. " He says this and win. However, if you happen to play with a slightly silly than the previous one, reasoning as follows: "This boy knows that the first time I chose odd, and the second one will happen switch to odd couple, but then a new impulse will emerge that the variation is too easy and ultimately be devoted to putting balls peers as the first time, peers say so. "So it does, and wins. Now this way of thinking of college, whom his comrades called 'lucky', what is it if you analyze it carefully?

- sewn for "I said in the identification of the reasoner's intellect with that of his opponent depends on how accurately which measure the intelligence of the latter.

- Exactly, "said Dupin. When I asked the boy how could this total identification it hosted his success, he replied: "If I find out if someone is smart or stupid, or good, or bad, and you know what your thoughts at the moment, as closely as possible the expression on my face close to his, and then wait until you see what thoughts or sentiments arise in my mind or my heart, coinciding with the expression on my face. " This response of the school is on the basis of all the false depth attributed to La Rochefoucauld, The Buyer, Machiavelli and Campanella.

- If I understand right, I said the identification of the reasoner's intellect with that of his opponent depends on how accurately you measure intelligence latter.

- it depends for its practical results, "said Dupin and the Prefect and his cohort fail so frequently, first because of this identification and second to measure wrong-or rather, not to measure" the intellect which are measured. Only take into account their own ideas of ingenuity and, in seeking something hidden, fixed only in the methods they had used to hide it. They are right in so far as their own ingenuity is a faithful representative of the mass, but when the cunning of the thief has a distinct character of its own, that the defeat, of course. This always happens when it is a superior cunning to his and, very often when it is below. The police allowed no variation of principle in their investigations, at best, if they are in a hurry by some unusual, or moved with an extraordinary reward, extend or exaggerate their old routine procedures, but without touching the principle. For example, in the case of D. .., what has been done to modify the principle of action? What are those holes, those ballots under the microscope, this division of the surface of the building numbered in square inches? What do they represent exaggerated but the application of the principle or set of principles governing a search, and based in turn on a series of notions of human ingenuity, to which the governor has been used in the long routine of his job? Have not you noticed that G. .. assumes that every man lies a letter, if not exactly in a hole in the leg of a chair, at least in some hole or corner suggested by the same line of thought that inspired the idea of \u200b\u200bhiding in a hole in the leg of a chair? Also note that these caches fetched only used on ordinary occasions, and will only be elected by just ordinary intelligence, that is to say that in all cases of concealment can be assumed, first, that it has been made within those lines, but for what Therefore, his discovery does not depend on the acumen, but the care, patience and the obstinacy of the search engines and if the case is of importance (or the magnificent reward, equivalent to the same thing in the eyes of the police), the qualities alluded to not ever fail. You understand now what I mean when I argue that if the card had been stolen hidden anywhere within the limits of the Prefect perquisición (in other words, if the guiding principle of its concealment been comprehended within the principles of the Prefect ) have been discovered without the slightest doubt. But our staff has been completely mystified, and the remote source of his defeat lies in its assumption that the Minister is a fool because he has achieved renown as a poet. All non distributio medii to infer from this that all poets are mad.

- But is this really the poet? "I asked. Is that D. .. has a brother, and both have achieved a reputation in the field of letters. I think the minister has written a remarkable book on calculus. He is a mathematician and not a poet.

- you are mistaken. I know him well, and I know both. As poet and mathematician is able to reason well, as a mathematician as rowing have been able to do so and would have been at the mercy of the Prefect.

- I am surprised those views, "I said, that contradicts the universally agreed. I do not suppose you intend to kill ideas that have existed for centuries sanctioned. The mathematical reason was always considered as the reason par excellence.

- Il ya à parier "replied Dupin, quoting Chamfort- that toute idée publique, toute convention reçu est une sottise, car elle a au plus grand convenu name. I assure you that mathematicians have been the first to promulgate the popular error to which you allude, and that not still a widespread error. With art worthy a better cause have introduced, for example, the term "analysis" in algebra. The French are responsible for this deception, but if a term is of any importance, if words derive their value from their application, then I concede that "analysis" covers "algebra", as in Latin ambitus implies 'ambition'; religio 'religion', or homines honesty, the kind of honorable people.

- I'm afraid you quarreling with some of the algebraic Paris. But continue.

- deny the validity and therefore the results of a cultivated reason for any special procedure other than abstract logic. Refuse, in particular, the reason educed by mathematical study. Mathematics is the science of form and quantity, mathematical reasoning is merely logic applied to observation of the form and quantity. The big mistake is to assume that even the truths of what is called pure algebra are abstract or general truths. And this error is so huge that it amazes me universally accepted. Mathematical axioms are not axioms of general validity. What is true of the relationship (in the form and quantity) is often erroneous applied, for example, to morality. In this latter science is often not true that the whole is equal to the sum of its parts. Also in chemistry this axiom does not hold. In considering mobiles it fails, for two phones for a given value added not necessarily reach a value equal to the sum of their values. There are numerous other mathematical truths which are only those within the relationship. But the mathematician, carried by habit, he argues, based on his finite truths, as if they apply generally, except for what other people accept and believe. In his scholarly Mythology, Bryant refers to an analogous source of error when it states that "although not believe in pagan fables, we tend to forget it and draw conclusions as if they were realities." But for the algebra, which are Pagans, the 'Pagan fables' are a matter of credulity, and the inferences drawn from them do not stem from a neglect of the memory but an inexplicable mental softening. To summarize: I have never met a mathematician who could be trusted out of their roots and their equations, or do not have per article of faith that x2 + px is absolutely and unconditionally equal to q. By way of experiment, say one of those gentlemen who, in his opinion, could be cases where x2 + px is not altogether equal to q, but once you've done to understand what you mean, pull off the road as soon as possible, because it is safe to try to beat him.

"What I seek to indicate "Said Dupin, while I laughed at his last observations, is that, if the Minister had been only a mathematician, the Prefect would have been necessary to extend this check. But I know so much math as a poet, and my measures were adapted to their capacities, taking into account the circumstances surrounding it. I knew that is a bold and intriguing courtier. I thought that such a man would not fail to be aware of ordinary police methods. Impossible not to anticipate (and the facts have proven that) the fake assault he was subjected. I thought that also would have provided the secret pesquisiciones home. His frequent absences at night, which the Prefect considered an excellent aid for his triumph, seemed just tricks designed to provide opportunities for perquisición and as soon as possible to convince the police that the letter was not in the house, like G. .. finally ended by believing. I also thought that the whole series of thoughts with some work I have just formulated and referred to the invariable principle of law enforcement in their search for hidden objects, could not fail to come up to the minister. This should lead inexorably to dismiss all caches vulgar. I thought that this man could be as simple as not understanding the most remote and inaccessible corner of his house would as open as the most vulgar of the cabinets in the eye, probes, drills and microscopes of the Prefect. I saw, in which D. .. necessarily end up in the simplicity, if not adopted as a matter of personal taste. Perhaps you remember how the mayor wanted laughed when, in our first interview, I suggested that perhaps the mystery was disturbed by absolute evidence.

- I remember very well "I replied. For a moment I thought they would give you seizures.

- There is a guessing game, "continued Dupin," which is played with a map. One participant asked another to find a given word: the name of a city, a river a state or empire, in short, any word that appears in the crowded and complicated area of \u200b\u200bthe map. Usually, a rookie in the game trying to confuse his opponent by proposing the names written in smaller characters, while the adept selects those that stretch, in large letters back and forth on the map. The latter, as well as signs and posters too large, escape the attention by dint of being obvious, and this neglect is analogous to the neglect eye that leads to the intellect not to take excessive considerations and palpably evident. Anyway, this is an issue that is above or below the understanding of the Prefect. Never occurred to him as probable or possible that the Minister had the card in front of the noses of the world, better to prevent a part of that world from perceiving it.

"The more I thought the bold, decisive and D. .. characteristic wit, that the document should be on hand if you wanted to use it for their purposes, and the absolute certainty provided by the prefect of the document was not hidden within the limits of ordinary searches of such officer, I felt safer than to hide the letter, the minister had gone to the comprehensive and sagacious of files: not hidden.

"pervaded of these ideas, I put a pair of green spectacles, and one fine morning I went by chance to the ministerial mansion. I found a D. .. at home, yawning, wandering around doing nothing and pretending to be in the height of ennui. It was probably the most active and energetic living beings, but that is only when nobody sees it.

"Not to be outdone, I complained about the poor state of my eyesight and the need for glasses, under whose protection detail cautious but I could see the apartment, while seemingly followed with close attention the words of my host.

"I devoted special attention to a huge table-desk by the D. .. which he sat, and which appeared mixed some letters and papers, together with a couple of musical instruments and a few books. But after a long and careful scrutiny, I saw nothing to seek my suspicions.

"Giving back to the room, my eyes finally fell on a small card-board cut hanging, attached by a dirty blue ribbon, a small brass knob in the middle of the mantelpiece. In this rack, which was divided into three or four compartments, I saw five or six visiting cards and a single letter. The latter looked very wrinkled and spotted. It was torn nearly in half, as if a first attempt to destroy it as useless have happened otherwise. He wore a large black seal, bearing the monogram of D. .. very visible, and the envelope addressed to the minister, himself a diminutive female. The letter had been thrown carelessly, almost dismissively say that in one of the upper compartments of the rack.

"No sooner had I seen this letter, I realized I was seeking. Certainly, his appearance differed completely from the detailed description we had read the prefect. In this case the seal was large and black, with the monogram of D. .., in the other, was small and red, with the ducal arms of the family S. .. The superscription of this letter showed a diminutive female, while the other, led to some real person, had been drawn characters and steadfast. Showed only the size analogy. But instead, the radical differences that were excessive, the dirt, crumpled and broken in part, as irreconcilable with the true methodical habits of D. .., and so suggestive of the intent to mislead about the true value document, all I say in addition to the location of the letter, defiantly placed under the eyes of any visitor, and coincides therefore with the conclusions he had arrived, strongly corroborated the suspicions of someone who had gone there with suspicious intentions.

"Extend my visit as much as possible and, while discussing animatedly with the minister about an issue that has never failed to interest and excite him, kept my attention riveted upon the letter. And trusted to my memory the details of your outward appearance and its placement in the rack, but finished well to discover something that dispelled any last doubts that might have harbored. Looking closely at the edges of the paper, I noticed there were more faded than necessary. Showed the typical appearance of all thick that has been folded and crushed with a folder, and then is gone in the opposite direction, using the same folds formed the first time. This discovery was sufficient. It was evident that the letter had been turned like a glove, to put a new overwritten and a new label. I said goodbye to the minister and went away, leaving on the table a gold snuff.

"The next morning I went in search of the cigarette, and resumed eagerly, the conversation the previous day. But while chatted, was heard just below the windows like a pistol shot, followed by a series of horrific screams and the voice of a terrified crowd. D. .. ran to a window, opened it wide and looked out. For my part, I stepped to the card, I took the letter, holding it in his pocket, and replaced by facsimile (at least on the outside) that I had carefully prepared at home, imitating the monogram of D. .. using a seal formed of bread.

"The cause of the street riot was the extravagant behavior of a man armed with a rifle, who had just fired his gun at a group of women and children. Comprobóse, however, that the gun was not loaded, and these were released to the individual considered drunk or crazy. Just had vanished, D. .. turned from the window, where I had met immediately after seizing the letter. Moments later, I bade him farewell. Certainly the alleged lunatic was paid for me. "

- But what were you asked intention-to replace the letter by a facsimile? Would not it be better to seize it openly on their first visit and leave the house?

- D. .. is a man determined to everything and full of courage, "said Dupin, in his house no shortage of servers devoted to their cause. If I had dared to suggest what you would never have come out of there alive. The good people of Paris had never heard of me. But, moreover, had an ulterior motive. Well you know my political preferences. In this matter I have acted as a partisan of the lady in question. During eighteen months, the minister what was at their mercy. Now she has him, as ignorant of his letter is not already in position, D. .. continue to press as if it was. This will lead to political ruin NEVITA. His downfall, too, will be more precipitate than awkward. This very well to talk about the facilis descensus Averni; but in terms of climbing, we can say what Catalani said of singing, that is, it's much easier to get that down, in this case I have no sympathy-or, at least, that compassion was low. D. .. mounstrum horrendum is , the man of genius unprincipled. Confess however, I would like your thoughts when, upon receiving the challenge of her whom the Prefect terms' a certain person ", is forced to open the letter which I left in the rack.

- How? Did you write something in it?

- Come on, did not seem right to leave the interior blank!

would have been insulting. Once, in Vienna, D. .. played a trick on me, and without losing his good humor he told you not to forget. So, as no doubt will feel some curiosity to know who has been more clever than he thought it was a shame not to give him a clue. Because you know very well my letter, I just copied in the middle of the page these words:

... A dessein if fatal, S'il n'est digne d'Atre, est digne of Thyestes.

"The find you in the Atre of Crébillon." FIN


0 comments:

Post a Comment